Wednesday, May 25, 2011

It's a Beautiful Day!!!

This post is dedicated to my ALL-TIME-FAVORITE BAND in the world.
U2

I woke up yesterday morning, just like any other morning and I realize, I barely slept last night. Hmmm... I wonder why? Oh because tonight I'm going to...
U2

This is my third time seeing U2 live, but the first time I get to go with my sweetie! Oh how excited I was to share this with Matthew!!! So Matthew, me, sis Kirsten and friend Kim drive up to Salt Lake and where do we get to go to dinner before
U2

Oh that's right, The Cheesecake Factory!!! Seriously, best day ever!
We parked "near" the stadium, why on earth it's at Rice-Eccles on the campus of Univ of Utah, but I can't blame them, it had to be outdoors. The stage, lights, sound could not be contained within any walls or ceilings. The Fray opens up and I think we heard a few songs as we were walking to our seats... we did not rush to get there in time to see them... as long as we were seated before

U2
started, I was going to be ok.
How cool is this stage??

And then it starts... We see them enter the stadium and Larry starts playing the drums and we scream as he starts "Even Better than the Real Thing" and then Adam joins in on base and the next thing I know...
Edge (haaaa-lle-lujah)
is playing the guitar and Bono starts... "Give me one more chance, and you'll be satisfied." Can we say they know how to start a show???

During the show, I took a little video clip so I'd remember all the songs they sang and realized I hadn't taken very many still photos, but here is the night sky lit up by a disco ball on top of the stage sending millions of stars out into night air during "With or Without You"
How beautiful is this?
After the show, we ran down to the floor to take more pictures but was literally pushed back by the crew already tearing down the amazing stage.
In case you were wondering, here is the set list as good as I could follow.
Let me walk you through:
- Even Better Than the Real Thing
- I Will Follow (yah, major fav)
- Get On Your Boots
- Magnificent
- Mysterious Ways
- Elevation
- Until the End of the World

At this point, Bono asks Edge: What do you want to play Edge? And it was as if Edge knew I was in the stadium, Edge answers:
- All I Want is You (one of my all time favs)
- Stay (Faraway, so close!)
- Beautiful Day
- Pride (In the Name of Love)
- Miss Sarajevo (one of Matthew's favs)
- Zooropa
- City of Blinding Lights
- Vertigo
- I'll Go Crazy if I don't go Crazy Tonight/Discotheque
- Sunday Bloody Sunday (huge fav)
- Scarlet
- Walk On
- All That You Can't Leave Behind
- One (wow, absolutely incredible)

And then Bono gave a tribute to Bob Dylan on his 70th birthday and sang:
- Blowing in the Wind

Then lead the crowd in
- Happy Birthday (very sweet)

And then... it goes quiet... the stage goes red...
at which point I think is when I lost my voice and they started into:
- Where the Street Have No Name
- The Times They Are a Changing
- Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
- With or Without You
(I got a little selfish and wanted them to sing the additional verse, but no. After Bono was done singing the crowd kept singing and he was taken back while Edge smiled away at how loved they are in Salt Lake City and he did sing an additional chorus, thank you!!)

Then to close the show, Bono gave a tribute to Amnesty International and asked the audience to pull out their phones to light up as they played:
- Moment of Surrender

What an amazing night... aahhhhh.... I love U2


No comments:

Post a Comment