Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Babies are here, the Babies are here!!!

... Wait, the babies are a week and a half old, what???

So I look back over this last week, realizing I haven't documented a thing that has happened over the last few days. Long gone are the bed rest days of my summer, and here are the days of 4 kids, fully loaded (with kids) mini-van, swimming lessons, and mom up every 3 hours to pump (at least for now). Wow, how life has changed and the babies aren't even home yet.

Forgive me while I slowly try to catch up the events of the last week. I am amazed at how much I love these little babies and cannot wait for them to come home.

It's crazy to think that my long awaited, long desired pregnancy lasted 35 weeks, the same as with the boys, and it's now over. By the Fourth of July weekend, let's just say, I was done. But not wanting a July 4th baby(ies), I waited until the 5th to start walking like a mad woman, getting the last few things for the babies room at Robert's, the Quilted Bear, Rod Works, and Wal-mart. Wow, what a busy day.

Well... Tuesday morning started at 5:30 am counting contractions. Not unlike any morning, but every 4, 6, 7, 5 minutes apart got my attention. Matthew was getting up for work and knowing I had a doctor's appointment at 10:30, I wasn't in a huge rush to get to the hospital. As I'm getting ready for the day, the contractions slow, so I'm thinking we're OK. But as my sisters Kirsten and Becky came to pick me up to drive me to Orem, I had contractions the whole drive, during the entire doctor's appointment, and per his instructions, we headed back to the hospital for another non-stress test... routine, right? Well thinking I'd be there for about 30 minutes maybe, my sisters and I would go to lunch after. Logical, right? Umm... not going to happen. The nurse comments that the contractions are now 2 to 3 minutes apart. What? I've only been counting the hard contractions that really hurt, this isn't labor, is it?

Have you ever noticed how times stops in a hospital? It does, I promise. We got to the hospital at 11:30 and by 5:30, the doctor finally called saying he got the O.K. to take the babies by the Neo-natologist. So, we are having babies about 7:00!!! Needless to say, the doctor came a little late, but now we're prepping for surgery, the family has all congregated to the hospital, and we're watching the clock, counting down to see these two little ones.

Talmage William was born at 7:55 pm and Kirtlyn Rose was born at 7:56. Talmage was 4 pounds 5 ounces and 17 3/4" long and Kirtlyn was 5 pounds 2 ounces and 18" long. My babies are finally here... I am in love.

The babies are admitted to the NICU, thinking they are having lung problems. After a few days of tests, ultrasounds, and x-rays, it's determined they have an infection that will take a couple of days to heal, and then all the lung and heart problems will eventually work themselves out.

Each day has been a hopeful wait for good, positive news. Which, thankfully, we have been blessed with. After a blessing from Matthew and his dad, with faith and patience, each day has been one of progress and the babies are healing, breathing well, eating well, and we get to hold them each time we go. Now the waiting game of "when will the babies come home?" Only time will tell, which again, we are good at waiting through. Love you babies.
(Pictures will be added to this post, hopefully today.)

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, I hope they get to come home in perfect health soon. :D